Friday, April 22, 2011

The Summer of Happiness

I can't believe that my 30 Day Blog Challenge is over! I've had so much fun doing it and I really enjoy blogging. But now the problem is, what to blog about? My life tends to be fairly boring and sometimes I forget that people don't want to know certain details of my life. If you have been following my blog, particularly before I started my blog challenge, you know that I have been struggling lately with being content with who I am, where I am, what I've been doing, and moreover being happy. I have a wonderful friend who recognized my struggles and sent me some inspiration. What she had to tell me and the book she sent me really made me look at things and once again I am evolving as a person. Chelsea's inspiration as well as the events of my bestie getting baptized have really made me remember what is important in life. Because of this I have decided to implement some changes in my life in order to make myself happy. I'm calling it "The Summer of Happiness" and I plan to use my blog to keep myself accountable for my goals and to hopefully inspire other people to be happier as well!

First things first: Who am I?
I've realized my biggest problem has been that I have been trying so hard to fit in and like things that I don't actually like, that I have been making myself unhappy and trying to convince myself that I like things I don't actually like. For the past week I have been trying really hard to implement the rule of "Be Farrah." If people can't respect me for who I am, likes and dislikes, then they aren't really my friends. And the friends that I have now, I know will love me no matter what. And you know, being myself and made me feel so much better and my friends are still my friends! WHOA!!
Examples:


  • I am a tomboy. Always have been, always will be. I don't really like girly things like makeup, fingernail polish, doing my hair, super cute shoes, girly clothes, shopping, etc. I've tried so hard to convince myself that I do like those things because I am a girl, but you know what? I like wearing tennis shoes, my hair in a ponytail, little makeup, being active, burping, laughing out loud, t-shirts, getting dirty, and hanging tough. That's me, and I'm ok with that. Yes, I have feminine qualities and I can act like a lady, but I am who I am and I like what I like and I like being a tomboy!

  • I'm a tease. Sometimes I forget that teasing is inappropriate in certain situations, but humor is a huge part of my nature and I love being silly, making a fool of myself, cracking jokes, and seeing the humor in every situation. I have often been afraid of what people will think of me when I make my sarcastic comments so I would often stay quiet, but you know what? I come up with some pretty funny stuff! I'm loud and proud!

  • Contrary to popular belief and my body type, I'm fairly naturally athletic and have always loved being active. In jr high and high school, the group of friends I hung out with weren't really into sports and because I was fairly insecure, I didn't want to play sports by myself, so I stopped playing them all together. I miss it now and it's one of my biggest regrets. I want to become active again and play sports, particularly softball!

I already have quite a few goals that I want to accomplish this summer and I'm so excited! Even though it might seem selfish for me to be focusing so much on myself, I don't see it that way. When I'm trying to make myself happy, it's so much easier to make other people happy! My goal is to post at least twice a week about the progress of my goals. My next posting will be a detailed list of those goals so you can all hold me accoutable! Also, if anyone would like to start some group goals, let me know! I'm willing to have all the help and support I can get! And if I can help you be happy too, then it will make it that much more worth it. :)







The book that started the inspiration! THANK YOU CHELSEA!! I highly recomment it to anyone and everyone!

3 comments:

  1. You're such an example to me. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I want to have a summer of happiness too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Farrah! I'm so glad you love this book, and can't wait to see your list of goals! I need to get back to mine cause I've been slow at accomplishing them lately. The Summer of Happiness sounds like a GREAT idea! And I'm glad you realize that it's not actually selfish to work on yourself and be happy. The happier you are, the happier you can make others. :)

    Love you!

    Chels

    ReplyDelete