Thursday, March 24, 2011

Day 2

Day 2 - My job.

I work as a CNA. Now before you go along judging me as a 'butt-wiper' let me explain a little bit. I work in an assisted living home for the elderly. I've worked in the same assisted living home for almost two years now. Hear me loud and clear right now: I LOVE MY JOB!

I took the CNA course and got my certification because I wanted to make absolutely sure that nursing was indeed the field I wanted to go into. The first few weeks on the floor were hard. I didn't know exactly what I was getting myself into nor all the work, physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual, that it would involve. It has taught me the most important lesson of my life though. I am meant to take care of my fellow human beings. It's not just butt-wiping, even though that is included. I wipe tears off of wrinkled faces, I clean the long worked hands of a mother, father, uncle, aunt and friend, and I help relieve those that are in pain, physical and emotional. It's taking care of someone who has lived their life, is close to the end and just can't take full care of themselves anymore. So I pick up the slack. I get to hear life stories of these amazing people everyday. A lot of them have no family so I am the only smiling face they see, the only person they get to talk to and the only one who cares for them. I know those people better than anyone and they know that I care for them because I give them good care. I take the time to get to know them and I have become a familiar face. I have gained a love for the elderly and a love for people in general. Even though some of them are so much harder to care for than others, I love them and it is so satisfying to go home at the end of my shift knowing I made a difference to at least one of my residents. I plan to make a difference in people's lives for as long as I live, CNA work is only the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment