Tuesday, July 6, 2010

I finally snapped.

If you have been following my blog, you would have gotten the fact that I am trying really really hard to make a lifestyle change for the healthier. Well, something interesting happened yesterday. Something in me snapped. For months now, I have been trying to lose weight. Walking, working out at least 3+ times a week, yada yada yada, but I was still struggling. I've done nothing but maintain. Whoop-dee-do. I haven't even really pushed my walking endurance. So recently I've been trying to increase my level of activity to at lease 5+ workouts a week with some variety and the help and encouragement of some amazing friends. It seems to be helping a little bit. I suddenly had some motivation and decided it would be really awesome and very profound for me if I could do the local triathalon next summer. As I threw the idea out there, criticism and doubt that I would be able to do it came back at me from people I thought would support me. Even more responses of "Sure" and "Good luck with that" came when I suggested maybe I could be motivated enough to train and do a 5k in the fall. And that is when I snapped. Who are you to tell me what I will and will not be able to do?! I can do anything I set my mind to! I was so upset, I turned to the one person who has never stopped encouraging me. My hero. My older brother. He is going to be my partner in this. Even though I've never been a runner, nor enjoyed it, the thought of completing a 5k and later a triathalon has been fueling my motivation to do something to be healthier. And now, just to prove not only to myself, but all of those that call themselves my friends who don't think I can do it, you watch! I WILL run a 5k this fall, with Daron at my side! I am determined! Training began today and I feel awesome! It's going to be a long road, but if it will help me be happier, I will do it. A good friend said "Pain is just weakness leaving the body." I'm taking it to heart! Don't worry, updates will be frequent. :)

3 comments:

  1. YAY FARRAH! You TOTALLY inspire ME! I am glad you have a brother that supports everything you do. Let me know when you decide what 5K you are going to do...if I'm feeling up to it, I might join you! (If that's okay with you and Daron, of course). :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I know I could definitely not do that. But you are such a strong and motivated person, I know that you will succeed and do well :)

    I hope things are going well! It has been too long since I've seen you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. farrah. first of all, can i run the 5k with you? i would love it! and 2nd. you should look into this program that im doing. its called Kristi Approved. its a lifestyle change with clean eating. i have done it for 4 weeks and lost 5 lbs and 5 inches of my hips. its great because i have struggled with weight all my life. but im learning that eating is 80% of losing weight. but seriously. your awesome. call me about the 5k! :)

    ReplyDelete